Things about VC that I never want to forget #3

11 Jun

Things about VC that I never want to forget #3
VC can make a mean dosa

We’re both foodies. To the core. And if we didn’t share this one big love, I don’t think our relationship would be what it is. It is only in the years that we moved out and set up home on our own, that I ventured into the kitchen and figured that I actually like to cook, as much as I like to eat. Yep, I didn’t imagine that the act of preparation and putting together of meals can be as much, if not more, fun as just stuffing face when a plate is presented before me.

But this isn’t about me. Its about VC, the patient, ever-willing guinea pig. The brave, encouraging partner to all my culinary exploits. The tolerant north Indian who willingly ODs on rice with his rice-obsessed south Indian wife. Previously oblivious to the wonders of vegetables, today he’s learned to enjoy eating unimaginable things like cauliflower, cabbage, bhindi, even. And ZOMG, baingan! Who would have thought there was a world beyond aloo, mushroom and babycorn?

Enough husband-bashing I say. Because these north Indian-south Indian differences are non-existent in life. They just conveniently crop up when I want to poke fun at him and his eating habits, which as far as I’m concerned were hitherto strange. They’re handy when it comes to mocking that. But it ends there. Right when he enters the kitchen and does something weird, like this:

That right there is where my self-righteous south Indian self is humbled.

The man, he makes a mean dosa. And for being ever willing to make me a crisp ghee dosa like that, I am willing to forgive all differences. Obvious, apparent, big, small, imagined, or otherwise.

For those of you about to get secular on me for pulling the north-south card, look here to see things about VC I don’t want to forget #s 1 and 2.

23 Responses to “Things about VC that I never want to forget #3”

1. Smita June 11, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

I am on a serious diet and the sight of those dosa’s did something to my stomach :’-(

And lol @ South Vs North but all said and done we North Indians cannot imagine anything without potato. I put it in all veggies/ maggie/ macroni *sheepish smile*

• hAAthi June 11, 2012 at 3:21 pm #

Why would you want to diet and go off dosas girl!! Life without rice (in any form) is a life not worth living!

And im with you on the aloo thing. I mean i dont agree but thats what ends up happening!

2. Ramya June 11, 2012 at 10:04 pm #

That dosa makes me SO hungy!

• hAAthi June 11, 2012 at 10:05 pm #

heehee its his single biggest claim to fame in the kitchen :P

3. The Wild Child June 12, 2012 at 2:57 am #

Oh that is SO TRUE about all the aloo!!! We want it not only in all our subzis but all of our snacks too – sandwiches, samosas, frankies, tikkis, chaat, burgers – everything!

And that looks like one delish dosa :)

• hAAthi June 12, 2012 at 7:19 am #

I personally love aloo :P especially the snackies! I have nothing against it. Its just that i love a lot of other veggies just as much and i often wondered why they never get eaten at the husbands home.

• The Wild Child June 12, 2012 at 7:43 am #

Hmm….they do get eaten at my place, as aloo-matar, aloo-baingan, aloo-gobhi (both kinds of gobhi), aloo-faliyaan (green beans), methi aloo, capsicum stuffed w/ aloo, and gaajar-aloo :D

• hAAthi June 12, 2012 at 8:02 am #

Then you are supremely lucky! Seriously. I dont know if it is just my husbands place or a general phenomenon, but the only veggies i ver ate were aloo mushrooms babycorn and capsicum. Everything else was a strict nono. Wat was even more strange was that nobody felt the need for regular intake of veggies or the balance in diet. It used to totally throw me, having grown up with the importance of all veggies dinned into me. Its how i dveloped a love for any goddamn vegetable. I can eat it all. Including turai and tindola and karela and what not!

• The Wild Child June 12, 2012 at 8:30 am #

I FORGOTTTTTT!!!! Karela stuffed w/ aloo!! *love*!!!
            My mom, too, made sure the importance of eating all veggies was dinned into us. Now I love them all, even those that I hated as a kid. Except turai (they call it tori in Delhi) which I still hate unequivocally and always will as long as I’m alive. And ghiya (lauki), which I hate a little less :)

In fact, the only way to make me eat ghiya is to make tori for the next meal so I’ll heat up the ghiya sitting in the fridge.

(I’m loving this conversation, btw!)

• hAAthi June 12, 2012 at 9:24 am #

Ghiya/Lauki — LOVE, in all forms. Yes Im weird like that.
              Turai — LOVE, in sindhi preparation. Which now reminds me, the sindhi home made a decent amount of turai, which I devoured singlehandedly, with the whole khaandaan wondering where I’ve dropped from. They probably never imagined ANYONE could enjoy turai. Seriously though.. I dont know what vegetable I dont like. I’ll have to get back to you on this one :P

• chandni June 12, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

I love lauki, tori, tinda, karela and all unpopular stuff people hate. Love dosas but haven’t been able to make decent ones. Need a pro to teach me :D

• hAAthi June 12, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

Ok welcome to the club then!
                  And I’m no pro at dosa making myself, but my next food post might interest you :) the husband might just be giving dosa making tips..I’ll let you know when its up

• The Wild Child June 12, 2012 at 10:24 pm #

With you on tinda and karela! Lauki and tori……I guess I need to try someone else’s cooking cos the way my mom makes them, it’s unfathomable to me that anyone would eat those dishes willingly! :)

4. Pepper June 12, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

Ohh, I could have written this post. Mint makes a mean dosa too. And the rest of the post, ditto, ditto, ditto. Especially the part in which you say the North Indian-South Indian differences are non existent in life.

• hAAthi June 12, 2012 at 2:32 pm #

We should create a nice little club of us mixed marriages methinks! Far too much we have in common.

• chandnihandni June 12, 2012 at 2:40 pm #

With you there as well! Mixed is more fun. I am a Baniya Agarwal,and the boy is a cocktail (Punju dad, telugu mom) so I call him a mixed breed while I am a pure bred ;)

5. Tamanna Mishra June 12, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

Ok, this husband bit is getting a little spooky. Let me email you a picture of dosas that R makes – triangle, folded, and stuffed. How, I ask? I think I cannot willnot make dosa ever because I am the pressure cooker rice cooker person among the two of us. If anything needs anything apart from these bartans, I don’t make it :D

Also spooky is the hardcore foodie bit. This relationship right here wouldn’t be the same without that one common love. That, and road trips. And beer :D

• hAAthi June 12, 2012 at 9:15 pm #

Hehe that IS spooky. Yes food beer and travel keeps us together. Like wholly.

6. ZinalBhadra August 3, 2012 at 11:56 am #

Wow.. One lucky woman you are.. with a husband that willingly travels and willingly cooks.. That dosa sure looks like its made by a pro.. :) NIce work.. on post and dosa :P

1. Why I can never hope to be thin again « hAAthi - June 12, 2012

[…] If you haven’t already seen the updates on the food blog, there was lemony pepper prawns and dosas a la […]

2. Dosas | Hungry and Excited! - June 14, 2012

[…] try it for yourself, or better still, check if your husband can. Chances are, he might be better at it than you are, and then you can put your feet up and have him serve you crispy ghee dosas for the rest of your […]

3. And while we’re on the topic of food « hAAthi - June 14, 2012

[…] I must pause to mention that the husbands step-by-step guide to making dosas is now up, if any of you would like to see. Head here to see how he makes his dosas the way I like them. […]

4. Instant whole wheat and flaxseed meal dosas | Hungry and Excited! - March 14, 2013

[…] husband loves the crisp-on-the-outside-soft-on-the-underside texture and since he was always the dosa champ of the two of us, we manage to get dinner done in no time at […]