As the sun went down

17 Oct

Shthump.Shthump. Shthump. Shthump.
With close and definite steps I picked up pace. The wind felt crisp in my face, and I felt my lungs expand, like they haven’t in months now. My calves were taut, hamstrings ached a nice ache, and the soles of my feet sprung back at me, with every step I took.

My heart quickened and my brow was damp. iPod clenched tight in my fist, I continued on, winding my way down to the beach. Tuning out from the cacophony around me, I tuned into the the beat of the track nestled deep within my ears. Traffic moved along silently, people chatted. But I only saw wheels zip by, mouths moving. No noise. Just the music inside me.

The day was almost over. I could see signs all around. Lovers huddled together. Some walked, hand in hand. Some hunched beneath the fading light. The lone fisherman braved the rising tide for the last catch of the day. A group of buffaloes made their way back, after a glorious evening dip in the sea. Not so far off, small-time TV stars were calling it a day, as giant reflectors, vanity vans and the like packed up.

I was mostly oblivious to the sound of it all, only catching sights passing me by, when a forgotten prop distracted me.

Shthump. Shthump. Shthump. Shthump. I went on, tracing my path in no particular direction. Criss-crossing older tracks — paths of many who came before me.

It is that odd time right before sunset, just before dark. The light was an oddly warm hue. Off white, with a tinge of pink. Slowly bleeding into a deeper setting-sun-kind-of-pink. Gradually painting the sky evenly, right before my eyes. And before I knew it, I was covered in a magenta glow.

By now, my heart was racing, feet dragging a little. But the beat goes on, and there in that crazy glow, I felt I had to keep going.

And so it begins once more. I’ve started running again.

26 Responses to “As the sun went down”

1. Food-Dee-Dum October 17, 2012 at 11:46 am #

Oh yaaayy!! Welcome back :)

• hAAthi October 17, 2012 at 11:48 am #

hehehe, its about time no?

• Food-Dee-Dum October 17, 2012 at 12:41 pm #

Anytime is a good time to re-commit to running! Feels awesome no?

• hAAthi October 17, 2012 at 12:50 pm #

im glad i finally started but i cant say i felt good yesterday :S it was like reality sinking in abt just how badly out of shape i am (literally and figuratively!) but yes at least i made a beginning..

• Food-Dee-Dum October 17, 2012 at 6:10 pm #

Hahaha I know THAT feeling, although I doubt I was ever as fit as you. But yeah that realisation is a bit of a b***h :)

2. idiotix (@idiotix) October 17, 2012 at 11:50 am #

lovely post. lovelier pics…
    inspiring too…

3. Arjun Kartha October 17, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

Shaabash beta! Now more running, less fotu-taking.

• hAAthi October 17, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

Kal se, uncle ji.

4. Coretan Daku October 17, 2012 at 12:19 pm #

Reblogged this on Coretan Daku.

5. mniranjani October 17, 2012 at 1:37 pm #

Super. Welcome back. I started again after a six month hiatus as well, though I don’t have the kind of scenery you do :-) How did you manage to click while running and more importantly how did you resist the chair?

• hAAthi October 17, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

well it was day 1 and i wasnt feeling super enthu or motivated to begin with. plus it was unusually pretty so i took a few stops here and there to take a picture or two :)

6. peevee28 October 18, 2012 at 2:44 am #

Thanks for taking me to Goa for a few minutes :) Lovely pictures and the description was as if you wrote it while you were there. Really felt like I was in there in that space at that point in time :)

• hAAthi October 18, 2012 at 9:41 am #

I kind of did write it in my head as I was running along :P came home and quickly jotted it all out.. Thanks PeeVee!

7. jaishvats October 18, 2012 at 11:13 am #

Hi Revathy

That was so poetic . Lovely pics too .

8. Anu October 18, 2012 at 11:58 am #

You paint such a beautiful picture of that evening. I just have to close my eyes and I was there. Lovely.

9. akshay October 19, 2012 at 2:25 am #

AIyo. I am just getting more stomach-ey, due to my discovery of discounted Ben and Jerry’s icecream. It’s the shit da.

Also, I wish my soles sprung back. Flat feet, bah.

• hAAthi October 19, 2012 at 7:20 am #

Hehehe flatypus.

10. Sig October 19, 2012 at 2:56 am #

I love this…I went running lsat night oo but my view was over the local swimming pool as I pounded the treadmill haha. Wish I was there!

• hAAthi October 19, 2012 at 7:23 am #

Oh that would work for me too. Its been ages since i signed up at a gym. Unfortunately none of the gyms in panjim cut it for me. But why are you RUNNING missy? Should you be taking jt easy and brisk walking instead?!

• Sig October 19, 2012 at 3:35 pm #

Hahah no!! Besides it was a slow run – I took it easy and only did 2 km so it wasn’t much as I went swimming after as well. I’ll stop when it gets too much for me :)

11. swatimital October 22, 2012 at 1:14 am #

Good on you. I love running too. I am used to of running in Edinburgh with many hills to choose from smack bang in the city centre. Geneva is relatively flat in comparison but I like running next to the lake and watching Mt. Blanc in the distance.

• hAAthi October 22, 2012 at 7:23 am #

Oh wow that sounds fabbb! Id love to run by the hills someday.

1. My thoughts on exercise « hAAthi - November 15, 2012

[…] much as needed it. Who exercised to stay healthy, and not to be slim. But about a month ago, I made a beginning, yet again, so here’s my list of 8 random things. My thoughts on getting back on the road, if […]

2. The second coming | hAAthi - March 14, 2013

[…] the way to go. What can I say, I am inherently restless. Settling is not something I do. So when I began exercising in October this year, I chose running because I needed to make a beginning after weeks of […]

3. Just going with the flow | hAAthi - August 23, 2013

[…] felt that several times this year. So many times through my stint at the cafe, or some times I was running and I forgot where I was and all I wanted to do was keep running, or it was when I was baking my […]