While I was away

19 Feb

— My always-signed-in WordPress account managed to sign itself out and forget the password. Needless to say, I didn’t remember it either and a few minutes of panic ensued this morning. Its like the my blog is punishing me for a week of neglect.

— I’ve carried around this antsy feeling of wanting to stop and jot a thought or a story down but not being able to. It makes things bubble on and fizz up unexpectedly, leaving me feeling like an overworked bottle of beer, left alone to go flat. It has been a hectic few days and this not being able to blog gave me that uneasy effervescence in the pit of my stomach, that has no way out and just sits around tumbling inside of me. Is this what the quintessential I have-so-many-stories-but-no-time-to-tell-them writer-angst feels like?

— I was out shooting a friends awesome Shetty-meets-Singh (can you feel the craziness already?!) 3-day wedding. No, I do not do this professionally. The world does not need yet another wannabe “wedding photographer” who passes off half-assed pictures as awesome work. I did it to help said friend, and while it was a whole lot of fun, I don’t think I have it in me. Mostly because it requires the impossible skill of being everywhere all at once.

— I participated in some seriously debauched shenanigans in what will go down as one of the craziest nights of my life, on day-3 of the wedding. It included one too many long island iced teas, a camera put away, way too much bare-foot dancing and forgotten dinner. And it ended at closer to 5 am, with destroyed high heels, unexplained black spots on my dress, a news app that seems to have made a mysterious appearance on my phone, a suspicious blue bruise on my right foot, a misplaced coat and some precious maal. Oh, and lots of sketchy posed pictures that I have no memory of ever posing for. The silver lining: I wasn’t the only one.

— Valentine’s Day came and went. Nothing to mention really, because who needs a special day to celebrate love? And while the husband and I have never done anything out of the ordinary in the past, except embarrass each other by sending across massive bouquets to office, it was interesting to note that this year, VC spent the week running up to V-day in a torrid affair with a pitch presentation. Late nights away from home, endless telephone calls and constant preoccupation — aren’t those the first signs of an extra-marital affair? The day itself was spent in back to back meetings with the beloved client who he was trying so hard to please. This is a new low.

— I baked an accidental V-day cake. When I wanted to make something citrusy for the sister, and I found some strawberries by chance, and ended up baking it one morning only to realise it happened to be the 14th. You don’t need a special day to celebrate love, and you shouldn’t need a special day to make a yummy cake. So go make this one now. Would it help if I told you it is butterless and full of fruit?

— The in-laws visited over the weekend and I found myself constantly running low on sleep and energy, shuttling from one activity to another. Meals were cooked, villages of Goa roamed and lots of fun was had. But perhaps it would have been that much nicer if I wasn’t so damned hungover the whole time. So I resorted to the only technique I know, to fight a hangover. I chased it with more alcohol, and the uber refreshing Mojitos at Zeebop, hit the effing spot for me.

— I inched closer to my trips out of Goa. I seem to constantly have Delhi on my mind these days. I’m going to be out for two weekends in a row, and I’m a bit hysterical with excitement.

— John, Paul, George, Ringo and Brian came home. I now have to find a nice spot to keep them.

beat

Also in queue to go up on a wall are these cool bits of nostalgia.

post

And these posters I’ve had framed for almost a whole year now.

mofie

— Our little nest got a little cozier with all these additions, but I realise its nothing without having someone to share it with. I’ve missed the husband acutely these past few weeks. And I know its strange to say that about the person you live with. But have you ever gone days on end seeing someone every day, but feeling like not really spending any time together? The past few weeks have been like that, with the husband consumed in a monstrous pile of work, and a stream of unending activities happening on the side. It started with the weekend he was away, and he worked right through the next one, while the sister and I bummed around by ourselves, then another mad week ensued, ending in the 3 day wedding (which he missed) followed by a weekend with his folks. Phew. Im tired just thinking about it, and I just really want some us time.

— I realised how much I love this space for giving me just that — the space to cut away from the clutter of life, and chisel away at the gazillion thoughts in my mind. So many, that I couldn’t sift through them without making bullet points *groan*

So what’s been up with you, you and you?

23 Responses to “While I was away”

1. Sanjana February 19, 2013 at 12:09 pm #

SO insanely jealous that you’re going to Dilli! My sis is there right now and I keep asking her to go to places and eat things on my behalf, cos I miss that place so damn much! :(

*sigh*

Have fun and all that. bah!

• hAAthi February 19, 2013 at 12:11 pm #

Hahaha, yeah Im going after a 2 years or so I think..and yes, fooood is a top priority :P

• Sanjana February 19, 2013 at 12:31 pm #

don’t miss Kareem’s! (here I go again!)

2. arundati February 19, 2013 at 12:34 pm #

i am missing my bitter half so much that i get cranky…am so done with his 18 hour unending work days and eating leftovers that were supposed to be his meals! have fun on your travels

• hAAthi February 19, 2013 at 1:12 pm #

Oh yes, all sounds very familiar! Except I think my husband too is growing tired of it and wants more and more to finish up and come home asap. If there is something that can be pushed to the next day so he can be home 20 minutes sooner, he does it..

3. ranjanatreya February 19, 2013 at 6:16 pm #

Bullet points FTW Revatii :D

• hAAthi February 19, 2013 at 6:33 pm #

Ayyeiii, I knew I could count on you to notice and approve..

• ranjanatreya February 20, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

Hahaha see this is all your PM-to-be training kicking in :D Yes, Revati, YOU!!!

4. egeedee February 19, 2013 at 9:49 pm #

What an eventful life. I love the Zeebop drinks! Lucky you are.

• hAAthi February 19, 2013 at 11:22 pm #

Oh yeah kind of irresistible they are :)

5. mniranjani February 20, 2013 at 4:18 pm #

Ah! The husband being too busy part aside, I love the feeling of such busy days. They make you feel all excited and full of life and at the end you’re ready to slip yourself and your pleasurably achy feet back into your slower everyday routine :-)

• hAAthi February 20, 2013 at 5:36 pm #

Yes, it was totally lots of fun but I can only do it for a few days at a stretch and after that I start feeling out of breath and like I really need to slow down.

6. Talitha February 20, 2013 at 5:21 pm #

Love the bullet point posty…you should do this more often!
    I love the Beatles frames…you should add ‘interior designer’ to your list of professions-that-could-have-been!
    Have fun in Delhi!:)

• hAAthi February 20, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

Hehehe, so flattering ya’ll are! The beatles stuff was a set of postcards from a friend..and I just had the idea to frame them. Thassall :)

7. Gila Monster February 21, 2013 at 5:51 pm #

Thought you were still employed at the Cafe !

• hAAthi February 21, 2013 at 6:07 pm #

I was never “employed” at the cafe. Merely volunteering my time. And that ended in abt 8 weeks.

8. Anita February 22, 2013 at 7:10 pm #

What lovely stuff to put on your walls! Pls to show photos of them on the wall

• hAAthi February 22, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

I shall :) once theyre all up!

9. sheeldamani February 25, 2013 at 12:54 pm #

Reva, love those frames so much! :)

• hAAthi February 26, 2013 at 8:59 am #

Haha oh yes I should have guessed you would :)

1. Cinnamon and sugar pull-apart loaf | Hungry and Excited! - February 28, 2013

[…] day of February, a month that has seen the food blog take a bit of a back seat in my life. I had a lot happening, and between guests, a promise to shoot a friends wedding and a trip to Delhi, I have been cooking […]

2. Alcohol is evil, and other birthday revelations | hAAthi - May 2, 2013

[…] Going clubbing was an event to remember. As it is now. Every few months when we get the chance to indulge, we pull out the stops, go all out, and invariably come back with a throbbing head, vague memory of […]