Dance, dance

24 Jul

I’ve developed a horrible habit in recent times. Mealtimes are incomplete without a 20 minute segment of mindless entertainment. And in the absence of a television in the home, I turn to downloaded shows, youtube videos, and my rather large collection of cooking shows. It doesn’t have to be something coherent. I usually don’t even need to watch it from start to finish. I just find the first thing that looks interesting and play it for the entire time that I am eating. Sometimes it is a 20 minute section of a movie. I don’t need to know what happens next. I watch it, shut it off when the meal is done and go back to work.

The good thing about sitcoms is they are easy on time. These days anything more than 30 minutes spent watching TV feels like as waste, like a burden. Last week, I randomly picked an episode of Girls and the show is neatly slotted into 20-minute segments. The episode I picked ended like this:

And it made me smile.

Four reasons why.
1) That’s one of my most favourite groovy songs.
2) I’m kind of like Hannah. A song pops up somewhere, I like the sound of it, I break into a random jig at home. Mid-chore. Mid-essay. Mid-shower. Wherever I may be.
3) I’m not the smoothest and classiest dancer around. Least of all when I’m in my own home and nobody is watching. I’m stalky and awkward, my moves are bulky and rough around the edges. Like Hanna’s. But I don’t care.
4) I also have a co-habitor who sometimes walks in on me and laughs. Not at me, but with me.

Like he did on Sunday, when I had a bit of a solo gig going on in the living room. On a post-cleaning-frenzy endorphin rush, I turned on some obscene music. Including tracks like this, this and OMG-I-can’t-believe-I’m-admitting-this-here this and rushed through the entire Zumba sequence. Only to realise ten minutes later that the husband was watching, laughing and attempting to catch it on video.

Yep, this dancing at home for no apparent reason has gotten a little out of control. The Zumba lessons have unlocked some sort of crazy dancing person in me. I don’t need company. I just need a pump-it-up kind of song, and I’m good to go. The wonderful thing about Zumba is its forced me to listen to music that I am otherwise very snooty about. I refused to pay attention to the likes of Pitbull and Will.i.am, Daddy Yankee (say WHAA?) and J.Lo until I was forced to, 8 weeks ago. I’m now a convert. Returning from class and unabashedly googling unimaginative lyrics like “I’m into you, I’m into you, I’m into you” in the hope of finding the song that caught my fancy.

And then I dance.

Here’s some of my new-old discoveries.

But of course I have to balance it out with the fun stuff. Some classics, guaranteed to make me get up and move.

Dance like nobody’s watching, they said. And so I do.

I keep dancing on my own.

23 Responses to “Dance, dance”

1. egeedee July 24, 2013 at 9:18 am #

I’ve been captivated by P!NK’s Raise Your Glass ever since they played it at the training session for rock camp (fer girls!) and had a random dance party. Something about women, grrrrls and young ol ladies making awkward and sometimes very smooth body movements reminded me of how much I loved P!NK back back in the day, before I became too proud to admit it. She’s awesome. This entire song is joy.

• hAAthi July 24, 2013 at 11:24 am #

Oh she is something else and listening to her takes me “back back in the day too” !!
      Speaking of women, grrrrls and young ol ladies making awkward but totally hot body movements and music, have you heard this one yet? This (and the entire movie OST) is my current obsession: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phmz9uRG4E8

2. egeedee July 24, 2013 at 9:19 am #

Oh and Lena Dunham’s instagram posts are killing me..i just want the next season of that.

• hAAthi July 24, 2013 at 11:21 am #

I was superbly disappointed by the last few episodes of season 2, so im nto that enthu anymore :(

3. Meera Parameswaran July 24, 2013 at 10:22 am #

hahaha….dance away to glory lady! :)

4. mincat July 24, 2013 at 11:18 am #

YOU DIDN’T KNOW EMPIRE STATE OF MIND?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?
    try la duena del swing by los ghermanos rosario. it was the first merengue song i fell hopelessly in love with and i was thrilled to bits when the zumba instructor played it. but then i kept breaking into merengue instead of doing his squats hee

• hAAthi July 24, 2013 at 11:20 am #

EH poda, im not that gawaar! The last 3 videos are classics, my most loved jig-able tracks :D
      Yes theres a lot of spanish stuff that gets played in between.. of course no hope of ever finding out those tracks cos I dont speak/understand spanish. Whattey pity!

5. atkokosplace July 24, 2013 at 11:30 am #

Dancing is fantastic. It keeps us in shape, energizes us, uplifts our spirits; like smiling from the inside out. Great post. First thing in the morning; I’m gonna dance! :)

6. endlessroad July 24, 2013 at 2:50 pm #

Haven’t seen the show ‘Girls,’ but really liked Lena Dunham’s film, ‘Tiny Furniture.’ She wrote, directed, and starred in it at the age of 24. She makes me feel so unaccomplished.

I wish there was Zumba here in Kerala. Maybe I’ll just have to do youtube Zumba.

• hAAthi July 24, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

I watched tiny furniture soon after i got hooked to girls and liked it. Girls too is mostly written by her, almost completely directed by her. And she plays a lead too.

7. Sarvani July 24, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

Can I confess.. one of my things I wish I could do.. is to dance uninhibited.. unfortunately I’m too inhibited, self-conscious.. call it whatever..but I just can’t and I don’t know how to get out of it!! so am envious of you right now!!

For the past few weeks.. I’ve been hooked onto Scandal..have you seen it??

• hAAthi July 24, 2013 at 5:03 pm #

Okay, have to confess Im only completely dont-give-a-damn uninhibited at the gym and in front of people I know well. So dont envy me :P

I havent watched scandal. Is it running on TV right now?

• Sarvani July 24, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

The season finale was on Monday… try and see if you catch it online somewhere…

• R July 25, 2013 at 12:35 pm #

What Sarvani said. I am way too self- conscious to ever just let go and dance. Ever. :(

8. R July 24, 2013 at 4:56 pm #

Everyone has missed the most important kostin. WHERE is that video that VC recorded? I want to see that.

• hAAthi July 24, 2013 at 5:02 pm #

Hahaha trust you to ask the most pertinent question of all! Vc tried. And failed. And what little he got, I junked :P

9. anita July 30, 2013 at 7:47 pm #

Note to self – Start watching Girls.

Loved that little bit you posted!

• hAAthi August 5, 2013 at 7:13 am #

It had me hooked all thru season 1 and then it got random in season 2, i thought. By the end of season 2 (the season finale actually) i was all meh, this is rubbish!

10. Nisha August 5, 2013 at 6:05 am #

This one’s my all time favorite zumba song – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzQfjoO3GBA

I need to watch Girls .. We dont get HBO and so I didn’t catch it on TV – I am wary of starting to watch it now after 2 seasons because I know I wont work, eat, shower until I catch up. That’s how I get when I start a new show … I spent a whole week watching House of Cards and I started to feel like everyone was conspiring against me because that’s all was going on in the show all the time – Ha.

• hAAthi August 5, 2013 at 7:17 am #

House of cards is also another show iv been told so much about. But i seem to have lost the patience to watch TV in bursts of longer than 20 mins. Its probably some form of ADD!

• Nisha August 5, 2013 at 11:44 pm #

Dont worry – it just means you have a life that you dont mind going back to.. I tend to watch long hours of TV to escape mine Haha

1. It’s only words | hAAthi - August 26, 2013

[…] true, the music I usually love is all about the beats. The groove. The snappy-sassy-pantsy-ness of it that makes me get up and do a small jig around the […]

2. Girls. And boys. | hAAthi - March 28, 2014

[…] the first two seasons, this one takes everything up a couple of notches. (And they still get their music […]