Internet finds

2 Apr

I’ve been home for a little over 4 days now. With 5 more to go, this has been one of the longest trips I’ve made away from Goa. Apart from copious amounts of home-cooked food, filter coffee, lots of movies watched sandwiched between my parents and getting a decent amount of writing done, I am guzzling in the Internet.

I’m not sure if just having a faster connection makes these things pop out at me, or it was just a case of good timing, but I have seen a fair amount of interesting Internet-ty stuff that I thought I should share them here.

The reason I’m sitting here in Bangalore to get some writing done is because I have been struggling with getting into the habit of making time for myself. Some how the things that don’t have a deadline, are not for anyone else but me, and that don’t have any immediate outcome always seem to get pushed out of sight and out of mind. I have been trying hard to cultivate the habit of putting away some time to chisel away at these easy-to-forget goals, a little at a time on a daily basis. This article says there is a science to fixing a habit. Also pretty doable, I see myself trying some of it out.

Jamie Oliver has always been my number one kitchen inspiration, more for his free-spirit attitude to life which comes out loud and clear not just in the way his food looks and tastes, but the way he cooks it. This video cracked me up. I knew he was always a bit of an eccentric nutter, but I didn’t think he could sing and pull off a music video. About fish stew. ’nuff said.

Every trip to Bangalore opens my eyes to a kind of frenzied consumption that I am still somewhat protected from, living in Goa. Our first “mall” opened 2 years ago, and it is a joke considering how far malls and organised centres of consumption have come in most other cities. While I do sometimes miss the conveniences, I have realised in recent times that the lack of it has forced me to work my life around it. This article on wealth addiction really scared me, because I realise there are so many people I know who suffer from it in varying degrees. Maybe “addiction” is a strong word to use, but the constant frenzy to amass wealth and buy stuff is overwhelming, when I visit home and invariably walk into a mall (which I do, no matter how hard I try and avoid it, because it seems there is no other place for people to just meet and hang out anymore).

I think moving to New Orleans has fueled something in that corner of Joy The Baker’s mind, where her fabuloulsy tongue-in-cheek writing comes from. She has been on a roll lately and I’ve shared a couple of things on the H&E page already, so sharing this one here. Fool’s Day meets general mockery of the oh-so-serious world of food blogging right here in this chuckle-worthy post that I loved. There’s nothing like laughing at yourself, when you’re trying so hard to get it right, that you’ve forgotten why you began!

VC and I have been really taking up the ante with home-cooking, and have cut down eating out to almost once or twice a month, which is a long way from our days of eating out a minimum of two times a week. For more reasons than just health, cooking at home has started to make sense and is becoming my go-to in the most unimaginable situations. So this video that makes a simple point about how cooking at home is not just good for you but can change your life, really hit home.

Related to that is this article on how cooking food could very well save the world. Michael Pollan is known for his radical views, but it’s hard to refute the things he says when it is backed up by logic and empirical data about the history of food and how we have been made to consume it.

This series of watercolour illustrations bring to life several kinds of women. I’m pretty sure you will see yourself in multiple pages, as I did myself. Took me back to this post by DewDropDream.

And because I’m always bookmarking delicious finds this Danish Braid with Jam and this loaf of Chocolate Bread are begging to be made as soon as I am back in my kitchen.

But until then, I’m off to get some more work done.

14 Responses to “Internet finds”

1. Santulan April 2, 2014 at 10:33 am #

Danish braid and chocolate bread! Must not see, must not see, must not seee :( I will get bad cravings now!

If you’re looking for some books, check out http://www.supriyasehgal.com/?p=278 for some wonderful stores. Some of my friends swear by the collection of old and new books they find at these places.

• hAAthi April 2, 2014 at 10:35 am #

No trip of mine is complete without waling into Blossoms and the Church Street magazine store. But I might have to give it a miss this time. I have decided to temporarily stall my book buying (and hoarding) till such time that I finish reading everything I have. Blossoms is a delight to go to even if you dont intend to really buy. Maybe I will try and do that visit!

2. mostlymisfit April 2, 2014 at 11:16 am #

I’m going to read/watch most of links you shared. I love it when things to do are ready and cut out for me. :D Thanks!

• hAAthi April 2, 2014 at 11:17 am #

Most happy to do the sharing!

3. mostlymisfit April 2, 2014 at 11:28 am #

LOVE the jamie oliver rap. Love him, especially since he focus on wholesome, natural eating.

• hAAthi April 2, 2014 at 11:35 am #

I like that he has taken his strengths and is really using them to make a difference. His Fifteen chain of restaurants, food revolution and everything else he does ti make home cooked food more real and possible for people is SO commendable. And i love that he does it all without getting haughty and officious. He is still fun quirky and keeps things lighthearted.

• mostlymisfit April 2, 2014 at 7:47 pm #

Couldn’t agree more. And in spite of doing so much, there is an innocent, care-free air about him, almost like he’s not even aware of how much work he has done. And I love his earthy way of cooking. And it’s natural, unlike Nigella, who although natural seems a bit of an exaggeration. I do like Nigella, of course. But for her screen presence and ease. I am not a big fan of her cooking.

4. The Bride April 2, 2014 at 12:58 pm #

That Addiction to Wealth thing resonated with me, but I wonder if we’re going overboard with the Wall Street is the axis of evil trope.

• hAAthi April 2, 2014 at 1:04 pm #

I think it might be wrong to use wall st as the template for ALL, but i think the phenomenon does exist. I think what he says about Wall Street is true for almost any big corporation. Our societies breed, laud and endorse amassing wealth as the only validation of a successful life. So is it no wonder that we are growing to be a generation that has everything, and yet feel so empty and are constantly looking for that “something” to fill the void?

5. Sarvani April 2, 2014 at 1:43 pm #

You know, blogging has really made me more aware and made me think a lot more on where my food comes from. And I have begin to feel so much more strongly about it.. for instance I am becoming extremely picky about seasonal and local produce and avoiding processed foods!! And like you, that’s made me such a fan of home cooking…hardly eat out!

PS– thank you for the traffic to the Danish braid post!! :))

• hAAthi April 2, 2014 at 2:02 pm #

Yes. The internet has made so much more information available. I read about pollan and his school of thought long before i got around to reading his book. Definitely pick up “Cooked” if you havent already. It will really change your life. And not just in a way that makes you afraid of where we are headed as a planet but it also gives you very real and doable things to incorporate into your life.

6. nishnu April 2, 2014 at 5:48 pm #

I’ve been obsessed with those RSA Shorts and RSA Animate videos. I love this one on the Power of Empathy – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Evwgu369Jw

Nutrition has become this big topic that is full of sexy new terms. There’s a new veggie or whole grain on the block every month that is touted to be the “it” food. I wish it were easier. I love Michael Pollan for being one of the few authorities on this subject who choose to communicate and not obfuscate. His book “Food Rules” is really good.

• hAAthi April 2, 2014 at 5:54 pm #

Absolutely what I love about MP.. complex as the issue is, he is able to pare it down to simple real truths — minus the sexy snazzy jargon that it tends to gather in foodblogs especially. Maybe thats why his work hits home harder? When I see something thats vegan and gluten free and paloe and yada yada, these days I just give it an eyeroll and close the tab.