Moments

10 Aug

Tenderness is a fleeting spot of time, sandwiched somewhere between waking and drifting back to sleep. I open my eyes just so, and I see VC bug-eyed-glasses on his face, windcheater zipped up, and helmet strapped on. The sun is not even out and he’s off for his morning cycle ride. But not without stopping to kiss me good-morning and goodbye. I’m not awake to register it all, but I take it in, in spurts. Like tenderness. Sandwiched between waking and drifting back to sleep.

I turn over and slip away. Comfort is that blanket of repose that spreads over me, as the seconds tick down one at a time, and I get drowsier, giving in to deep slumber that hits me like a flat-line. The pillow just right, cupping my head full of unruly hair, a light sheet jammed between my knees so they don’t touch, my palms sandwiched between my chin and chest. And its easy to let go and drift away into the white noise.

I wake up some time later. I’m not sure how long. The din of falling rain as it slams the parapet above my bedroom window. Strong, persistent and showing no signs of ceasing. I peek out, and the sun is struggling to shine, creeping up from behind the grey clouds looming large. The balcony doors have swung open on their own. I walk out and feel the rain come in. Peace is that bristly, feathery sprinkling of rain on my face. I’m awake now. Arms outstretched over the balcony, I reach out to touch the rain, which is now coming down in big bullets. The street is quiet, nothing moving except the coconut trees swaying, and holding fort in the face of the anything-but-gentle breeze.

Suddenly I hear a pair of wheels turn the corner. Making contact as they crunch the wet gravel and head back home. Pedals circle wildly, and on it a grinning VC. Joy is all-encompassing, like the downpour that drenches an obsessive newbie cyclist to the bone, bug-eyed glasses, helmet, windcheater and all. I see him. I smile. And then I’m really awake.

11 Responses to “Moments”

1. vishalbheeroo August 10, 2014 at 11:56 am #

A beautifully woven tale of happiness and passion. Thanks for sharing good vibes and energy.
    Have a good Sunday.

2. Santulan August 10, 2014 at 8:02 pm #

Fleeting, but memorable :D

3. Vibhuti August 11, 2014 at 12:24 am #

I loved this post! :)
    You make me hopeful of living a life like that, someday. Thanks for sharing all the positivity!

• hAAthi August 11, 2014 at 8:03 am #

Its funny how the posts I usually mindlessly write more for myself than anybody else always get these responses. Makes me happy that someone else could also relate to them :) thanks for leaving a comment.

4. arundati August 11, 2014 at 7:39 am #

Aww, sweet post

5. R August 11, 2014 at 9:32 am #

Beautifully, beautifully written. Very evocative. :)

• hAAthi August 11, 2014 at 9:33 am #

Heh, it happened again no..random, rushed post that just had to come out :)

6. Meera Parameswaran August 12, 2014 at 10:11 am #

Moments indeed. :) Beautifully written with sweetness in every word!

7. Bikramjit August 12, 2014 at 3:36 pm #

how i wish , how i wish i could do that .. take my bike out , along that kuccha path that runs from our house to the two rivers about half a mile away and then ride along the meandering river .. to feel that fresh air and the rain falling ..

brought some memories to me of home sweet home ..

8. Deeps August 14, 2014 at 10:38 am #

That was beautiful! Some moments just make you want to hold on to, dont they!