What you have is enough

13 Oct

It was a week that delicately straddled a lot and nothing at all, in a precarious balance. A lot, because I was busy for the first half, chasing a deadline. Chasing it, because I’m the eternal procrastinator. I don’t function unless I’m under pressure. And if the situation doesn’t present any packaged pressure, I’ve just proved to myself yet again, that I have the ability to work myself into a corner and press myself down with a self-made kind of pressure. The good thing is, it yields fabulous results. I’m happy with what I churned out after 3 days of playing hookey. After many slow weeks, it suddenly felt like I had a lot going on.

The long-drawn procrastination, sporadic frantic bursts of writing for the assignment and eventually the scramble to get it done and done well, and the general routine that surrounds it all, was punctuated with moments of nothing at all. Even though I cooked, I worked out, I read, I caught up on some long-pending errands (I’m getting my garden going, finally!) and got lots of odds and ends done, I’ve had far too many moments of empty contemplation than I cared to have. Hollow pondering — cloudy, unnecessary trails of thoughts. Travelling down paths I have left behind, but obviously not far enough to never turn around and backtrack a bit. Empty and completely unrequired because it’s like revisiting old fragments of myself that I have shed — incidents I tell myself I have forgotten, have grown out of and moved on from. But they lurk not far behind, ghostly reminders of a time that will never be the same again, situations that won’t ever be fixed, relationships that can’t be mended, decisions that I don’t want to undo, choices I have made that I sometimes question in a circular fashion. So it is futile. I don’t like to sit around in a cloud of gloom, in shallow contemplation, pondering over things that are not likely to do much more than bring me down. So in that sense, its empty time. And there was a lot of this, nothingness.

I’ve questioned the hows and whys of many aspects of my current life a little too much these past few weeks. I’ve over-analyzed and re-thought many twists and turns that have brought me to where I am. Work-wise, people-wise, choice-wise, I’ve wondered and wondered and thought and re-thought things much more than I should. And much more than I normally do. And then I read this in a post by a friend.

Learn to trust that what you have is enough

Written in a totally different context though it was, it made sense. It was just what I needed to see, right then. I’m not as zen as the words sound like they should be, but it’s good to have a simple reminder smack you in the face when you need it the most. And just like that, the army of little voices in my head, asking me a dozen questions per minute, died down a bit. The silence returned for a while. Just long enough to catch up on the music. And thankfully, there was a lot of good, new music last week.

Episode 3 of Coke Studio Pakistan, Season 3 had one gem which turned into a complete earworm for a couple of days. It’s a radically different track for Abida, this one. And she admits it with such unbridled joy if you watch the Behind The Scenes video.

I watched Haider during the week, right after the mad scramble to meet the deadline. As soon as I was ready to submit the story, I attached it to an email, hit send, shut my laptop and left. Thankfully, I made it two minutes before show-time, and it was well worth the dash. I enjoyed Haider. Enough to watch it a second time. I’m not going to pretend to over-analyze why I did, but I think the sound-design and music were definitely among the top reasons why the movie was enjoyable. I discovered this new rendition of a Mehdi Hasan classic.

8Tracks sometimes throws up some pleasant surprises. I never quite got hooked to the website/App for its obvious anti-ocd kinks. But S pointed me to a playlist that began with this track, which I then youtube-d and stuck to for a good long while. I am hugely tempted to use it in a foodeo now.

The radio played this track an obscene number of times this week. Makes me believe The Madden Brothers have done something right (wrong?) to suddenly be in the news again. But this song came on almost every time I got into my car, and its that kind of horribly sticky fun song that stays in your head and on your lips, even when you don’t want it to. I went around saying “done, done, done, done, done – we are done!” for a good part of the week. And then I watched this sweet video, and it changed the mood of the song completely.

Luckily, it was a fabulous week of music discovery. To fill the pauses that could linger into moments of futile contemplation. To make the cloud of gloom clear a bit and scatter the forgotten fragments, leaving them behind a little longer. Yep, I’m done now. Done overthinking and analyzing.

What I have is enough.

11 Responses to “What you have is enough”

1. Bubblegum October 13, 2014 at 10:34 am #

Read some where, ” There is a difference between giving up and knowing when you have had enough”! :-)

• hAAthi October 13, 2014 at 11:37 am #

Makes sense, but I dont feel so Zen about it as yet :) I have some way to go before I quit the mild agonising, and settle in with this newness. I definitely know now what I required, and what is enough so maybe that’s a start?

• Bubblegum October 13, 2014 at 12:01 pm #

My problem is I never know what is ‘Enough’! If it is something negative, it keeps on blocking my zest for other things in life, if it is positive I quickly target for more! Seems 25 years were not enough to implement ‘What you have is enough’ for sure!

2. R October 13, 2014 at 2:16 pm #

So this morning at the airport, I picked up this book to read (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goat_Days) – it was a fairly slim book so I was sure I’d finish it tonight. Didn’t read the blurb and that turned out to be both a good thing and a bad thing. I am 1/3rd into the book; you know the kind of books that put you through the wringer? This is one of those (so far, in a good way). The shameful realization of all that we have in excess, made me feel so small and disgusted and made me want to bawl, so I had to stop reading it in public. That we have enough is a reminder that all us need, often. So easy otherwise to slip back into a state of selective amnesia.

• hAAthi October 13, 2014 at 2:20 pm #

Excessed in all senses seem to be what makes us tick no? Remember when I posted this quote on fb? I also added in parenthesis the fact that its true for my life on multiple levels. About what I’ve consciously left behind (choices Iv made that impacted relationships, my lifestyle, my ethics) and as much on the kind of conspicuous and inconspicuous consumption that I indulge in. I meant a bit of both in this post. Must look this book up, without reading the summary on wiki!

3. Sig @ Glowing Healthy Life October 13, 2014 at 4:08 pm #

Sigh. I always love all the music you find. Soothes my soul it does.

• hAAthi October 13, 2014 at 10:40 pm #

Oh I’m glad someone noticed it :) and that someone other than me is enjoying it. I’m pretty sure nobody who reads or comments ever listens to the music. I spent last month posting a song with every post and not a single one got a mention. Not one!!

4. Santulan October 15, 2014 at 10:17 am #

I found Marvin Gaye when Falcon recommended him to Captain America in the Winter Soldier.. and then there was the song in Chef too.

Honestly speaking, I had not taken Haider’s songs/music seriously before. But after watching the movie, I was hooked. The sounds and words are very haunting.. I find my self humming them randomly :)

About feeling enough..I think I still have to come to a point where I feel zen about it.. Oh well..

• hAAthi October 15, 2014 at 10:22 am #

Ah Chef had sexual healing I think. Marvin Gaye is fabulous..and the track here is a remix, but if you like MG, go check out his classics.
      Same to same with Haider, I didnt give it too much thought before. But first watch was memorable because of the music and sound design. Second time I watched it purely for the music :D And yes, haunting it is. Lingers around in my head long after I have heard/watched it.

Zen is an aspirational state.. I dont think I’ll ever get there, but its a place for me to strive to reach.

1. Weird days and a bizarre coffee incident | hAAthi - October 16, 2014

[…] things that I don’t usually stop to give too much thought to. I mentioned it briefly here, but I only realised it when I was talking to A. This over-sensitivity, the dwelling on something […]

2. And this too shall pass | hAAthi - October 20, 2014

[…] communication, undependable technology and general forgetfulness aside, the sluggish month that it has turned out to be, continues just as usual. I realise that at the heart of it, this is […]