Let’s begin with peace

1 May

It’s been three days of listening to the incessant churn of the sea. That necessary hum that pretty soon blends into the background, just enough not to intrude but always loud enough so you don’t forget where you are. And why you’re feeling so relaxed.

It’s been three days of waking up before the crack of dawn (yep, VC made me do it) to catch the sunrise.

It’s been three days of extra long days (because, refer point above) of unending, extreme relaxation. Punctuated only be breaks to drink, eat and sleep. All my time has been spent mostly horizontally, or semi-horizontally. Reading. Chatting with VC. Giggling. Watching. Taking it all in.

It’s been three days of being drunk on relaxation and waking up with a shadow of a hangover. From feeling very relaxed, of course. Not too shabby a start to year 32, I’d say.

Maybe it’s the holiday glow, or maybe I’m just old, but when I look back at the post from last year, all I feel is a tremendous sense of calm. I can see just what has changed from then to now. And yet, I know exactly what hasn’t

Part of me was a little worried we aren’t getting out and roaming around enough. That we’re missing the sights and the tourists spots. But I quickly realised that’s not who we are. We exhausted our sight seeing enthusiasm on day one.  Our holidays always boil down to this kind of relaxation. And that’s okay

To begin the year in peace — with my phone out of reach from most, sitting on the balcony facing the sea, watching the sun creep out from behind the hills, chai in one hand and my book in the other, hungrily reading away, doing absolutely nothing else. This is a lot more than I could ask for.

20 Responses to “Let’s begin with peace”

1. Bubblegum May 1, 2015 at 8:06 am #

Happpppy Birthday :) Have a hAAthi time ahead :)

2. chroniclesofdee May 1, 2015 at 11:21 am #

Happy happies girlie! I love holidays that expect nothing out of you but to just live and spend that moment.

Lots of love!
    Dee

• hAAthi May 1, 2015 at 11:24 am #

Thanks a whole lot Dee <3
      And thats just the kind of holiday I love and usually end up taking haha. Im too lazy for anything more.

3. Santulan May 1, 2015 at 2:28 pm #

Such a nice way to celebrate :D Happy Birthday, R :D

• hAAthi May 3, 2015 at 8:56 am #

Indeed, it was. Thanks so much!

4. My Era May 1, 2015 at 9:35 pm #

Wish you a very Happy Birthday :)
    A beautiful post that touched me with its calmness and feeling of contentment :D

• hAAthi May 3, 2015 at 8:56 am #

Aw thanks so much :)

5. Siri (@Sirime) May 1, 2015 at 10:47 pm #

Happy happy birthday Rev. Wishing you best of times and a fabulously calm (yet exciting!) year ahead.

Siri

• hAAthi May 3, 2015 at 8:57 am #

Thanks Siri. That really exactly what I want – calm, but exciting hahaha

6. simple girl May 3, 2015 at 8:45 am #

happy birthday :) .. cheers to the refreshing beginning … :)

7. Lata Wonders May 13, 2015 at 7:49 am #

Exactly my viewpoint on holidays (pun intended)

8. gc1963 May 13, 2015 at 9:01 pm #

I always feel like going back to the rut I am used to after such an overdose of relaxation. Perhaps it is intended to be like that!

• hAAthi May 14, 2015 at 3:57 pm #

Haha, maybe it is. I dont think I can ever overdose on relaxation, it is always welcome. But I think its a sign of a good holiday when you dont feel glum at the end of it :)

1. I’m not dead | hAAthi Time - July 21, 2015

[…] so many mixed feelings, and a new beginning that ended too soon), a gorgeously relaxing ten days in Sri Lanka, and Bombay last week (my first trip back in two and a half years!). I’m pretty sure […]

2. Day 29: Emptying my cup | hAAthi Time - January 29, 2016

[…] started my 32nd year with a promise, that it was okay to be happy with a calm life.  And yet soon after that, I somehow forgot all […]

3. Day 120: Birthday weekend in progress | hAAthi Time - May 2, 2016

[…] When I moved to Goa six years ago, I had a faint notion that it was a chance to begin every new year at the beach. But I only managed it once, in our very first year here – and what a birthday it was! 2011 featured a surprise ringing-it-in party so boisterous, that I had to spend the actual birthday in peace. I actually had no memory of the birthday of 2012 – zilch. Until I suddenly recollected it was a home party, where I cooked my friends dinner and ordered my own birthday cake! Then there was a crazy night of dancing over the birthday of 2013 that I didn’t think I’d ever wake up from. But I did, and lived to tell the tale. My 30th in 2014 was unusually quiet, but very memorable and happy. I didn’t even cut a cake, but it was a time of overwhelming peace and I was overcome by a lovely, everything-is-in-it’s-place kind of contentment. Last year I was on the beach, just not in Goa, but it should still count, right? We were in Sri Lanka, away from network and I had a fantastic, quiet birthday. […]

4. 40+ Blogs By Super Indian Women Bloggers | LifeStalker - February 14, 2017

[…] her last blog post, Let’s begin with peace, she showed how to announce your birthday to the world in […]